Q1: WHAT ARE PLATEMATES?
- PlateMates are rubber-coated magnetic weights. They are made with extremely strong magnets that will only stick to metal or cast iron. They allow the user to add small amounts of weight to their dumbbells, plates or weight stack in order to achieve higher levels of weight training.
Q2: WHAT IS MICROLOADING AND WHY SHOULD I BE DOING IT?
- PlateMates allow beginners to perform exercises properly and avoid injury by allowing the user to safely increase weight in small increments. Intermediate users stay motivated because they experience a steady progression in the weight they can lift. Advanced users benefit because microloading helps users break through plateaus to achieve success.
Q3: HOW MANY PLATEMATES DO I NEED?
- The Donut, Hex and R-3 PlateMates are sold in Pairs. You need one pair for each dumbbell. For most exercises, you will want two pairs (one for each dumbbell).
- The Brick PlateMates are sold individually.
Q4: DO PLATEMATES WORK WITH URETHANE OR RUBBER COATED DUMBBELLS?
- The original PlateMate® Donut and Hex units will not work with urethane or rubber coated dumbbells and plates. The magnets must come in direct contact with metal.
- The PlateMate® R-3 was specifically designed to go on the inside of a dumbbell handle so that you can microload with any type of dumbbell (Steel, Rubber, Urethane, Adjustable, etc.)
Q5: CAN YOU STACK PLATEMATES?
- No. you should not use more than one at each end of the weight. For a heavier microload, use the next available size of PlateMate®.
Q6: WILL THE PLATEMATE® FIT AROUND AN OLYMPIC BAR?
- No. PlateMates will not fit around a barbell. They were made to fit around a Pro-Style dumbbell end (1" in Width). However you can attach the magnets to the metal plates themselves when doing barbell work.
Q7: HOW DO YOU USE PLATEMATE® BRICKS?
- PlateMate® Bricks are specifically designed for selectorized (cable) machines. The will stick securely to the weight stack.
Q8: WHAT ARE THE DIMENSIONS OF THE PLATEMATES?
- 1.25 lb Hex -- 1" Thick and 4-1/4" Wide
- 1.25 lb Donut -- 1/2" Thick and 4-1/2" Wide (Hole Measurement is 1-7/8")
- 2.5 lb Donut -- 1" Thick and 4-1/2" Wide (Hole Measurement is 1-7/8")
- 2.5 lb Brick -- 7/8" Thick, 7-1/8" Long and 2-1/8" Wide
- 5 lb Brick -- 1-1/2" Thick, 7-1/8" Long and 2-1/8" Wide
Q9: WILL THESE WORK ON HEX DUMBBELLS?
- The 1.25 lb. Hex Platemate® will secure to 20 lb. dumbbells and higher.
- The 1.25 lb. & 2.5 lb. donut Platemate® are only intended to be used with 25 lb. dumbbells and higher. The units become unsafe if used with a lower weights.
Q10: WILL THESE WORK WITH KETTLEBELLS?
- While the PlateMate® may attach to a kettlebell, we do not advise using them with a kettlebell. Upon swinging, it becomes unsafe.
Q11: HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO RECEIVE MY ORDER?
Domestic Orders (Contiguous USA): We try and ship orders within one business day. Transit times may vary between 2-5 business days based on your proximity to Virginia
- International Orders (outside USA): We try and ship orders within one business day. Transit times may vary between 5-20 business days based on your proximity to the US and any possible export or import delays at Customs.
Q12: HOW DO I RETURN OR EXCHANGE MY ORDER.
- Returns or Exchanges are accepted up to 30 days after the product has been received. Email email@example.com with your Order ID. We will provide return or exchange instructions.
- IF YOU INQUIRE ABOUT A RETURN, REPLACEMENT OR EXCHANGE, PROOF OF PURCHASE IS REQUIRED. NON TRANSFERRABLE.